Sky Box Software Updates
Sky Boxes receive software updates from time to time. Software updates are delivered through satellite to make changes in your Sky Box. These changes are usually improvements to the performance of your Sky Box such as new exciting features and bug fixes for system problems so you should welcome them with open arms. However, updating can be quite a tedious process if you don’t know how. That is why we have created this article to help you on how to update your sky box.
Sky Boxes, whether it is a Sky+ HD box or a Sky Q box, get updates and install them automatically. However, these Sky Boxes become unreliable and glitches when they are switched off or disconnected for a long period of time. For instances like this, you have to manually update them.
How to Update Your Sky Box Manually
Due to the advancement in TV technology and the rise of TV on-demand, manually updating your Sky Box seems to be a thing of the past. However, there are some instances where you still need to update it manually before you can watch with your TV. Here is a guide on how to manually update Sky Box to the latest software. This guide provides step-by-step instructions for both the Sky+HD box and Sky Q box.
Best CCTV installers and Aerial engineers near you
Updating Your Sky+HD Box
You can download your Sky Com Software Update for your Sky+HD box by following the instructions below:
- Press the standby button using your remote.
- Switch off the Sky+HD Box and disconnect it from the power supply. Also, turn off the other devices connected to the box. Wait for at least a minute.
- On the top panel of the box, press and hold the backup button. While pressing the backup button, turn the power supply back on.
- Keep pressing the backup button until the box resets. You’ll know this when all four LEDs in front of the box light up. You should now see the software update screen on your TV screen.
Note: If all the four LEDs still do not light up even after pressing the backup button for 30 seconds, repeat this step. If the lights still do not appear, it is best to ask for professional help. Aerialforce has Satellite TV Engineers all over the UK who can help you with your Sky Box.
- Do not disconnect the Sky+HD Box from the power supply or satellite dish while the software is updating. Doing so may cause permanent damage to your Sky Box. While waiting for the search and download to finish, we advise you to switch the TV to another screen to avoid screen burn.
Note: The software update screen will stay on the screen for about 5 to 10 minutes, until the download finishes. If the download seems to be stuck, try disconnecting the Sky Box from the power supply. Wait for 5 minutes, then repeat all the steps.
- You will know the software update has finished when the four LED lights disappear. The box will then switch to standby.
- Wait for at least 3 minutes before switching the Sky+HD Box back on. A green LED will light up on the front panel of your box. You can now watch your favourite shows and videos on your TV.
Updating Your Sky Q Box
You can download the Sky Q Software Update for your Sky Q box by following the instructions below:
- Go to the Settings of your Sky Q box. Under the System Info, highlight Software version.
- Choose Setup.
- Start the download by clicking Software download.
- The search and download take about 10 minutes to finish. Make sure that the box is not turned off or disconnected from the power supply while the software is updating.
- You can check the status of the Software update by going to the Settings. Choose System Info then highlight Software version.
- When it says “Software update successful” it means your Sky Q Box is now updated to the latest software version. You just need to wrap up your download by pressing the Standby button on your remote.
- Your box will then restart. Once it restarts, follow the on-screen instructions. Your Sky Q Box should then be on the latest software version, and you can now watch your favourite shows on your TV.
Note: If you are seeing hard disk error messages on your screen, you need to know how to reboot Sky Q Box. Hard disk errors prevent your TV to set or play videos and recordings. It may also hinder your TV to search for features like videos on demand. Click here to learn how to reset q box.
If these steps do not work, you may be dealing with a bigger problem. We advise you to ask for professional help and leave these problems to the experts. Aerialforce has Satellite TV Engineers who have years of experience in offering same-day satellite TV services. Just search our site or contact us, and we’ll be there to assist you right away.